Ad swapping is an excellent method that you can use to gain traffic to your website, or more commonly used to gain subscribers to your list, which in turn gives you more traffic. If this is done correctly it is a very simple and effective method of traffic building.
Basically, ad swapping is the trading of ads with other ezine publishers, website publishers or marketers who are in the same industry niche and have the same interests as you. Ad swapping works best if you have a mailing list but it is not essential. If you have a mailing list then you broadcast your ad swap partners advertisement to your mailing list while the ad swap partner endorses your ad to their list, this is called cross promoting.
Ad Swapping Methods You Can Use
There are many different methods that you can use for ad swapping. Here are some of the more popular methods:
Broadcast Ad Swapping
If you have a mailing list then you can increase traffic and subscribers at the same time by swapping a broadcast with another ezine, or website owner, this is also known as cross promotion and it can generate massive amounts of traffic and new subscribers if your own broadcast is offering something for free when the prospect signs up to your mailing list.
Website Link Swapping
This is probably the easiest method and the method that is most associated with link swapping. All you have to do is to swap your website URL with another from a partner, and place it on your website. Try not to promote links to websites that will damage your reputation and always try to keep them relevant to your own niche. Checkout Traffic Bunnies.
If you need to break the ice between yourself and a possible partner, then write a small advert recommending their services or website and place it on your website or blog, then send the person a link to it and ask if they would like to reciprocate.
Blog Roll Ad Swapping
A blog roll is basically a list of your favorite blogs, as you place links to your favorite blogs on your blog then in turn, ask if they will do the same for you, this may not generate excellent traffic but at the very least it will get you very important back links to your blog.
Thank You Page Swapping
This is an often overlooked, yet potentially great way to grab some additional traffic and possibly paid subscribers. If you are selling a digital item and you send your customers to a thank-you page for their downloads, try placing some offers from other possible partners on there and ask if they would reciprocate, if you do not make many sales and you have an affiliate program, try to sweeten the deal by offering the other person to use their affiliate link in their ads, this way you will both gain from the ads.
Writing Your Swap Ads
You simply need a little imagination and some knowledge of what you are selling in order to write a great copy for your swap ad. Like most ad copy, the purpose of the advert is to get someone to do something that is good for you or to take affirmative action.
Here are a few tips that you should use when writing your copy:
- Keep it brief and to the point. An advertisement is not a thesis. You have less than 5 seconds to grab the attention of anyone reading it, so make use of every single word. All advertisements have a certain objective and your ad must make that clear right from the first sentence. Make it as definite as you can and as short as possible.
- A swap ad is not the same as a classified or even a sales letter. The most critical aspect of a swap ad is its title. Spend a little time and get the title right, then you have more than half your work done already.
- Every word should breathe power into your ad. Do not use anything for decoration, unless it is busy working for you, do not include it in the ad copy.
- Keep sentences short, yet powerful, and arouse the reader’s curiosity as much as you can, but do not become so confusing that you leave them wondering what you are trying to say. Your ad must get them to take the action by the time they are finished reading it.
- Always include your website URL in your ad, otherwise it is pointless.