10 Profitable Up-sell Strategies
As you know it can be very expensive to attract new
customers. You can cut down on those expenses
by “up-selling” to those new customers. For example,
let’s say you’re selling a computer with a 15″ monitor
for $1200. You tell people they can upgrade to a 17″
monitor for only $200 more. That’s up-selling! Your
goal is to get more money out of the first sale. Below
are ten up-selling strategies you can use to increase
1. Deluxe Up-sell. You could sell a basic product and
tell people for a little more money they can receive the
2. Money Up-sell. You could offer people the rights
to sell the product they are buying from your business.
You could charge an extra $30 dollars to get the
3. Discount Up-sell. If you’re selling a product people
may order again in the future like shave gel, you could
offer them a second can of shave gel at a discount.
4. Time Up-sell. If you’re selling a product or service
people subscribe to, like a magazine, you could tell
them if they subscribe for two years instead of one,
they can receive it half off the cover price.
5. Quantity Up-sell. This is similar to the discount upsell.
The only difference is you increase the discount by
how many products they order. If they order 3 it’s a
10% discount, if they order 5 it’s a 15% discount.
6. Package Up-sell. When you’re selling a product you
could offer similar products in a package deal. Tell
the people the other products are cheaper with the
package deal versus purchasing them separately.
7. Affiliate Up-sell. When you’re selling a product you
could offer someone elses’ product as an up-sell. You
would have to make a commission on the product in
order to profit.
8. Free Up-sell. You could offer a free sample or trial
of your product (your first sale would be free) and
then tell people if they order the full version right now
they will get a discount.
9. Extra Up-sell. There are many things you could
charge extra for at the time of sale. It could be gift
wrapping, imprinting, custom designs, etc.
10. Extended Up-sell. If your product comes with a
warranty, you could ask people if they would like to
extend the warranty one more year for only $30.
In conclusion, you can use one or all these strategies
to increase your profits at the point of sale. Don’t be
afraid to use your imagination to come up with other